Saturday, June 18, 2011

Book Cover Design Discussion Continues

When I contacted the publisher about using the refugees-on-the-run photo, I got the following reply:


"I appreciate your getting others' views, which is good, to get other ideas. However, this photo to me reinforces the image of refugee already prevalent and without hope. Yes, it shows fleeing and is very sad."


Here is the photo the editor is commenting on:




The editor continues, "Yet people, in my view, need to see refugees beyond that. To me, your first photo showed simple and below normal life, i.e., in a camp. Yet, it also shows people desiring to move forward, given the expressions on your faces. You are beyond that road of the other photo, and are seeking a better life. At least, that is what it says to me."

Here is that original photo being referenced:



Based on this, it looks like we'll stick with the original cover photo for now, though there will be revisions until we get a look that the publisher and I can agree on.


What do you think? How can I make the picture better? I wish the photo were brighter or crispier, but this is probably the best-looking I can get it. No, wait, maybe I should take it to Wal-Mart photo center and see if they can make me a crispier copy...

No comments:

Post a Comment