Sunday, August 28, 2011

Final Draft of Refugee Was My Name

It seems like we are on the home stretch now. The editor sent me the final draft for me to look over one more time.

I did catch a few corrections, some of which involve factual information, while others have to do with Liberian English (again). However, the vast majority of the manuscript is looking really great.

Also, we are deciding on a photo to put on the back of the book. I have picked one with Miss Harriet and I on it. I hope it shows here well. Let me know if you have a preference. Please use the comment box on this page for your feedback.














4 comments:

  1. Readers will like the tree on the cover, as well, for it is a familiar sight in many parts of Africa. Your manuscript included the "Under the Shade" area (of the refugee camp in Ghana)that later became a place of meeting for devotions, prayer, and singing during that time. The image and the real place can easily tie together in a reader's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed that connection between the shady tree on the cover and "Under the Shade" at the refugee camp. Thanks, Jean, for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to your blog entry above:
    1) The pictures on the back cover are rather small; therefore I am not sure which one contains Miss Harriet (the resolution of the online photo above is not good enough). She is not identified as being in a certain photo.
    2) I would leave out the adjective "tribal" in the first paragraph. Yes, the Liberian conflict was complicated by ethnic prejudices, but unfortunately the word "tribal" in the West still carries with it unnecessary negative connotations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the photos will be crisper and larger on the final product, but I will share your comment with the publisher.

    Yes, I see the need to remove "tribal" from the paragraph you cite.

    ReplyDelete