Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mission Trip 2012 Blog 9


Sunday, March 18
  • After hearing that my boyhood friend, Robert Saydee, had fallen seriously ill upon his return to New Jersey, after his latest mission trip to Liberia, I asked Pastor Luther Tarpeh (my host) for us to pray together for Saydee's healing. Pastor Luther said Saydee has been having very severe headaches; his body is very weak, and the doctors have not been able to diagnose what's wrong. Praying for Saydee I felt breakthrough power, and I expect the Lord to touch and heal his body soon.
  • Our mission team worshiped with Church For All, which is one of many congregations that rent school rooms at the MCSS (Monrovia Consolidated School System) building located in Slipway, Monrovia. The Church For All pastor, leaders and congregation expressed their thanks and appreciation to our mission team by “gowning” everyone of the eight of us with African wear. The classroom cannot hold everyone; tens of people sit and stand on the veranda of the second floor where CFA meets. People took pictures and videos of the event. Jason, Kevin and Corbin sneaked away into the classroom packed with kids, and passed out gifts to the children, in addition to worshiping with them; these three are attached to kids.
  • I preached from Genesis 39:1-5 on “The Joseph Factor”, urging the CFA family to learn how to spot and support each “Joseph” that, like diamond or gold in the mud, may be within the ranks of their families. My main point: Your “Joseph”, whose secrets are the presence and favor of God, holds the key to a bright future for your entire family, team, community, city or nation. I handed the microphone to Bro. Ron, who, among other things, asked Heather Hodges to pray a special prayer over the Liberian women. Heather prophesied that the daughters of Liberia will rise from the weight of suppression to be a vital part of the Lord's army in their country.
  • Later in the day, on our way to Sunday evening service, I called and spoke with Bro. Roger Morris, the associate minister at Church For All in Owensboro, Kentucky, to thank him for his effort that led to Sceptre Mechanical (his employer) giving $2,000 towards the cost of the 2012 mission trip. I sensed that Jason Toler (who is on this mission team with us and is the president of Sceptre Mechanical) probably helped with arranging this generous gift that will pay for the remaining cost of transportation, lodging, etc, for the team, and for the remainder of my stay here after the team leaves on March 23. As soon as the check clears the Mission Liberia bank account, Victor Annan (leader of the Mission Liberia team) will send the funds via MoneyGram. Once again, God has provided for His work in an awesome way. Oh praise His mighty name!
  • On Sunday evening we climaxed the week's events with one last revival service in the sanctuary of Heritage International Ministries. Before the message I asked my niece, Salome, to lead in worship by singing; she sang “Shout to the Lord”, and the atmosphere becomes wet with the presence of God. This young lady has a special anointing on her for worship music; I pray the Lord will open doors for the larger body of Christ to experience the power of Salome's anointed voice. By African custom I am now considered Salome's father, since her father, my elder brother, had passed away in 2005; but it is only now that I am really getting to know Salome, having been separated from her for over two decades.
  • Using Ezekiel 37:1-14 (The Valley of Dry Bones) as his text, Bro. Ron and the team led in Liberian church leaders who in turn led the congregation in fervent prayers of renouncing false religions, witchcraft, and secret societies. Bro. Ron confessed the sin of slavery, saying, “I'm sorry for what my ancestors did to your ancestors by enslaving them. I ask you to forgive me.” With cheers and tears the people replied, “We forgive you!”
  • Various members of our mission team led in prayers and exhortations. Bro. Ron declared a message of hope in the midst of the despair that faces most post-war Liberians. At one point Brother Ron, Pastor Williams, and I held hands, prayed, cried; later, Pastor Isaac wrapped his arms around our circle and joined in prayers with us. Ministers prayed with the crowd at the altar. I remember praying for a young lady who had been having “bad dreams”; a woman who wanted supply of used bed sheets and used living room curtains for her business; a mother whose 14-year-old son is living in the streets. For that broken-hearted mother I based my prayer on Luke 15:11ff (The Parable of The Prodigal Son), pleading and declaring that the boy “come to himself” and return home to his loving, waiting mom.
  • Brother Jason took hold of music and sang deeper into the night, none of us knowing exactly when to end the revival service. The people just won't stop singing, dancing, rejoicing. Hearts are being changed. Ministries are being born. This could be the start of transformation in Liberia.
  • By the time I reached home it was after midnight; my family members (Judy and Patience) got home later than that. ~End Blog 8~

No comments:

Post a Comment